PHILADELPHIA — Eagles quarterback Jalen Hurts is prone to rewatch Friday’s apply — the second full-on exercise of training camp on the NovaCare Complicated — and need he had carried out at the next stage. In actual fact, most of his offensive teammates are prone to stare upon their tablets and suppose the identical factor about themselves throughout their subsequent movie session.
Whereas the defensive depth chart placed on a robust show, the offense appeared utterly listless in its second aggressive exhibiting of the summer season.
Philadelphia Eagles’ offense ‘didn’t look good’
Heart Jason Kelce, who stood on the sideline throughout group drills as he recovers from COVID-19, didn’t mince phrases when requested how the first-team offense carried out on Friday.
“It didn’t look good,” Kelce mentioned. “I’d have to have a look at it extra on tape, however I believe that the protection most likely feels that we bought the higher of them the primary day, and I believe they got here out with plenty of vitality and energy immediately, and that’s what you need to see. You need to see folks competing, you need to see sides of the ball competing with one another in camp. That’s going to make us all higher.”
The offense struggled to click on in group drills. Hurts had some off-the-mark tosses, and the strain from the protection appeared to explode an irregular variety of performs in a shirts-and-shorts apply.
Whereas Hurts bought off to a very good begin with the primary part of 11-on-11 reps, his total morning left lots to be desired. Whereas his efficiency wasn’t as ugly as Carson Wentz’s outing in Ashburn, Va. on Thursday, Hurts didn’t look correct on this apply.
Nevertheless, as with Washington’s one-sided exercise earlier this week, it’s necessary to notice that it is not uncommon for offenses to be behind defenses within the early days of coaching camp. The offense is attempting new issues and is requested to do greater than the protection, so naturally, there’s extra pondering and play-calling concerned.
Nonetheless, Hurts had some tough moments as a passer, failing to attach along with his spectacular receiving group by transient stretches. Whereas he did have the occasional completion to A.J. Brown, Boston Scott, and Dallas Goedert, there have been some off-target throws that he’d positively need again.
Avonte Maddox makes play of the day
The Eagles’ protection collected three interceptions on Friday. Essentially the most spectacular choose was made by beginning nickel cornerback Avonte Maddox towards the first-team offense.
Hurts focused Goedert inside an internet of defenders, and the ball fluttered a bit on the best way to the playmaker. Maddox leaped up and made a formidable play on the ball, gathering it within the air and taking off for an enormous return.
Hurts made a poor choice to throw right into a barrage of defenders, and whereas Maddox (5’9″) wanted to sky for the ball, it appeared a bit low on its solution to Goedert (6’5″).
“Man, I do know he’s solely 5’9″, however he jumped like he was 6’5″,” Goedert mentioned after apply. “He bought up there. It was an important play by him. He form of baited the quarterback, took a few steps, I believe he was guessing that I used to be going to run a nook [route], and he simply made a very good play on the ball. I want [the ball] had been a contact larger so I might have caught the ball as a substitute of him, but it surely’s Day 2 of camp, we’ll get it proper.”
Maddox is coming off a terrific season, which earned him a long-term contract extension. The Eagles are relying on him to repeat his success between Darius Slay and new arrival James Bradberry this season.
Together with Maddox’s interception, the depth models picked up one other pair of turnovers. First, cornerback Mac McCain broke up a cross from backup QB Gardner Minshew to wideout Jalen Reagor, and the ball bounced within the air for linebacker Davion Taylor to grab it for a choose. Later, Minshew focused a receiver throughout the center, and security Andre Chachere jumped the route for an interception.
McCain and Chachere are competing for depth jobs within the secondary. Each defensive backs have been with the group final season after arriving simply earlier than Week 1. McCain bounced on and off the 53-man roster all through the marketing campaign, whereas Chachere grew to become a reliable gunner on particular groups.
Eagles’ harm replace
Tight ends Richard Rodgers and Tyree Jackson and offensive sort out Brett Toth remained on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list. Whereas the trio didn’t take part in apply, they have been seen on the sphere of their jerseys and shorts.
Kelce, as beforehand talked about, was restricted as a result of “COVID development,” as was defensive sort out Fletcher Cox and vast receiver Keric Wheatfall. Fellow wideout Zach Pascal was out at apply however missed understanding for a second straight session as a result of an sickness.
With Kelce skipping group drills, the beginning offensive line appeared like this: Jordan Mailata at left sort out, Landon Dickerson at left guard, rookie Cam Jurgens at middle, Isaac Seumalo at proper guard, and Lane Johnson at proper sort out.
Fast hits from Eagles coaching camp
- Offensive linemen, defensive linemen, tight ends, and operating backs wore “guardian caps” throughout apply. Kelce walked out to apply with bubble wrap on top of the cap to make gentle of the already odd-looking protecting gear. Lane Johnson mentioned the caps appeared “goofy as sh–,” whereas Goedert agreed they weren’t aesthetically pleasing.
- Miles Sanders bought some work with the second-team offense towards the first-team protection and appeared fast and shifty. The guess right here is that Sanders was used with the twos to offer the first-team protection higher appears within the operating recreation.
- Undrafted rookie Carson Sturdy made the throw of the day, as he despatched an absolute rainbow roughly 30 yards down the sphere to wideout Britain Covey, who didn’t haul it in throughout 7-on-7 drills. Covey was coated by undrafted rookie cornerback Josh Blackwell who had a hand within the space of the ball however seemingly didn’t make contact.
- Undrafted rookie cornerback Mario Goodrich, who has switched from No. 32 to No. 31, had a pleasant cross breakup in the direction of the top of apply throughout group drills.
- Third-string middle Jack Anderson labored with the second group and appeared to carry his personal as a snapper and blocker throughout drills.
- J.J. Arcega-Whiteside, who has been transformed from a wideout to a decent finish, doesn’t appear like a pure tight finish. He’s listed as 6’2″ and 237 kilos. He’s a minimum of two inches shorter than the remainder of the gamers at his place on the depth chart.
- Cornerback Tay Gowan bought to the apply subject very early and went by his personal pre-practice stretching regime. He’s competing for a roster spot.
- The Washington Commanders introduced after apply that defensive finish Ryan Kerrigan, who spent final season with the Eagles, was retiring. Kerrigan spent the primary 10 years of his profession in Washington and made 4 Professional Bowl appearances whereas producing 95.5 sacks. He had simply two tackles in 16 video games final season for Philly.
- The Professional Soccer Community Coaching Camp Tour will proceed on Saturday at New York Jets camp in Florham Park, New Jersey.