PHILADELPHIA — With 1000’s of Philadelphia Eagles followers watching his each transfer on Sunday night time at Lincoln Monetary Discipline, Jalen Hurts took a snap from shotgun. The third-year QB — on his twenty fourth birthday — peered to his proper and noticed his greatest pal and high weapon, wideout A.J. Brown, streaking down the sideline.
Brown had a step on veteran beginning cornerback James Bradberry, so Hurts clearly preferred his possibilities as he heaved the ball roughly 30 yards down the sector. Brown then made a diving catch in the long run zone for a powerful landing connection between Philly’s new dynamic offensive duo. The big training camp crowd then erupted at what has turn into a typical sight on Broad Avenue all through the summer time
The connection is robust between Jalen Hurts and A.J. Brown
With DeVonta Smith and Greg Ward sidelined, Hurts had restricted acquainted choices within the passing recreation. That stated, the QB1 has by no means shied away from tossing the ball to Brown, who was acquired for first- and third-round picks in April. Brown, who signed a four-year, $100 million contract extension following the blockbuster draft commerce, has rewarded Hurts’ consideration with spotlight after spotlight in his first summer time with the Eagles.
The 30-yard TD move was the spotlight of the night time, however it was not the one connection between Hurts and Brown. Earlier, the pair linked on a crossing route that arrange Brown with loads of room to run. The duo additionally linked on an out route throughout a two-minute drill later in apply.
The Eagles restricted their staff reps on the night time, however it’s clear the offense has a gem of a playmaking connection between Hurts and Brown heading into the season.
That stated, Hurts wasn’t good in the course of the open apply. Whereas he was in a position to choose up chunks of yardage along with his legs, he did maintain onto the ball for lengthy durations earlier than taking off. There have been a handful of performs that might have ended with sacks if it had been a stay recreation.
In constructive information, Hurts has continued to point out improved imaginative and prescient and accuracy throughout the center of the sector. He linked with wideout Quez Watkins and tight finish Dallas Goedert over the center in the course of the closing session of staff drills. Whereas he has held onto the ball too lengthy at occasions, Hurts appears much more assured within the pocket by means of two weeks of coaching camp apply.
Hurts’ lone blunder play on the night time was a close to choose, as linebacker T.J. Edwards jumped a route however couldn’t haul within the ball.
Philadelphia Eagles Harm Replace
The Eagles practiced with out a number of starters on Sunday. Under are the 11 gamers who missed the exercise:
- OT Jordan Mailata (concussion)
- WR DeVonta Smith (groin)
- OT Andre Dillard (concussion)
- OT Le’Raven Calrk (hamstring)
- TE Grant Calcaterra (hamstring)
- DT Javon Hargrave (groin)
- CB Jimmy Moreland (ankle)
- S Jaquiski Tartt (private)
- CB Kary Vincent (groin)
- WR Greg Ward (toe)
- RB Boston Scott (concussion)
With three of the highest 4 offensive tackles out of motion, the beginning offensive line regarded like this: Kayode Awosika at LT, Landon Dickerson at LG, Jason Kelce at C, Isaac Seumalo at RG, and Lane Johnson at RT.
The second-team group was: Josh Sills at LT, Sua Opeta at LG, Cam Jurgens at C, Jack Anderson at RG, and Jack Driscoll at RT.
The Britain Covey hype is actual
The Eagles’ most noteworthy undrafted rookie all through the primary two weeks of coaching camp has been wideout Britain Covey. He’s obtained common ink from beat writers in each day observations, and followers have turn into keenly conscious of his return abilities by means of YouTube highlights from his Utah days.
Nicely, on Sunday earlier than apply, head coach Nick Sirianni, a receiver aficionado, added a bit extra spice to Covey’s title. When requested about Covey’s efficiency in the course of the offseason, Sirianni acknowledged the undrafted rookie has stood out since becoming a member of the staff.
“Once we had been in rookie minicamp, he made a transfer early on in rookie minicamp with some main quickness, and also you noticed his quickness,” Sirianni stated. “That’s what you see with him. He’s actually fast. He catches the ball effectively. And he has nice really feel of what to do on the market and he’s sensible. He is aware of all of the positions.”
Covey obtained first-team reps within the slot with Smith and Ward out of motion. That’s notable, as a result of former first-round choose Jalen Reagor, who has the power to play within the slot, labored nearly solely with the second-team offense.
“He’s had a very good camp, however I feel what actually stands out with him, and I don’t suppose it’s going to be a secret to the remainder of the NFL, is how fast he’s,” Sirianni stated about Covey. “Everybody goes to see how fast he’s, and everybody goes to recollect the performs he made at Utah along with his quickness.”
The Eagles are probably locked right into a wideout depth chart with Brown, Smith, Watkins, and Zach Pascal on the high. From there, Reagor, Covey, Ward, Hightower, and others are competing for one or two spots. It sounds and appears like Covey is pushing his method up the totem pole.
Fast Hits from the Eagles’ apply at The Linc
- Previous to apply, Sirianni indicated that former Chargers wideout Dontrell Inman was serving as a coaching camp intern with the staff, just like Eddie Royal final summer time. Sirianni mirrored on how the Chargers found Inman after a profitable profession within the NFL.
- Additionally previous to apply, the Eagles brought back rookie OT Jarrid Williams, who was launched earlier than the beginning of coaching camp in July.
- Backup QB Gardner Minshew had a pleasant TD move to backup TE Noah Togiai on a crossing route in 11-on-11 work. Later, third-string QB Reid Sinnett hit Togiai for a powerful 20-yard acquire throughout 7-on-7 drills. With Calcaterra sidelined, Togiai is getting loads of appears to be like with the second- and third-string offense.
- Sinnett really had a powerful night time total. He was capable of finding targets in zone protection and choose up massive performs along with his arm. He had a superb ball — thrown throughout 11-on-11 drills — to wideout Deon Cain on an out route for a acquire of about 20 yards. He later linked with wideout-turned-tight finish J.J. Arcega-Whiteside on a diving completion for roughly 20 yards.
- Linebacker Haason Reddick had a fast “sack” on Minshew that was so obvious the play was blown useless in 11-on-11 work.
- Olympic hurdler/wideout Devon Allen received practically 15 yards on a display screen move from Sinnett.
- Undrafted rookie operating again Kennedy Brooks runs arduous. Whereas the Eagles are more likely to solely maintain three backs, Brooks and Jason Huntley had some strong reps in staff drills. Huntley had a 50-yard keep it up a second-team 11-on-11 run the place he prevented contact till he was pushed out of bounds on the reverse 20-yard line. Huntley additionally had a few good beneficial properties off catches within the flat.
- Defensive finish Tarron Jackson beat Sills with velocity off the sting to attain a “sack” on Sinnett.
- Undrafted rookie cornerback Mario Goodrich broke up a TD move from Sinnett to Allen within the nook of the top zone. Goodrich has produced a breakup in every of the three practices that PFN has attended this summer time. He’s competing for the fifth and/or sixth cornerback spots.
- Cain, a former Pittsburgh Steelers draft choose, made a few very nice catches with the second-team offense. The wideout group is stacked, however he needs to be arrange for a pleasant preseason outlook and a doable job elsewhere if he can’t latch on with the Eagles.