We’ll use this submit to spherical up a few of the extra notable current draft signings:
- The Phillies introduced they’ve signed #17 general choose Justin Crawford. Jim Callis of MLB.com experiences (Twitter link) that the lefty-hitting outfielder will obtain a $3.8948MM signing bonus, a hair above the choose’s slot worth. Crawford, the son of four-time All-Star Carl Crawford, was ranked by Baseball America because the #18 prospect within the class. A product of a Nevada highschool, Crawford is a superb runner who’s considered a potential plus defender in middle subject. The 6’3″ outfielder is seen as a hit-over-power offensive participant. He’d been dedicated to LSU.
- The Purple Sox agreed to a cope with #24 choice Mikey Romero, as first reported by Chad Jennings of the Athletic (on Twitter). It’s a $2.3MM deal to persuade the infielder to bypass a dedication to LSU. A left-handed hitter from a California highschool, Romero was ranked the #54 prospect within the class by BA, explaining why his deal is available in a good bit shy of the choose’s $2.98MM slot worth. BA praises his bat-to-ball abilities however notes that his slender body results in below-average uncooked energy.
- The Yankees introduced settlement with #25 choose Spencer Jones. Callis experiences (Twitter link) that he’ll signal for slot worth at $2.8808MM. The category’s #49 prospect in accordance with Baseball America, Jones is a 6’7″ outfielder from Vanderbilt. The left-hander posted a large .370/.460/.644 exhibiting with 12 dwelling runs and 14 stolen bases by way of 272 plate appearances throughout his last season with the Commodores. Jones caught out at a lofty 23.5% price, an unsurprising improvement for a participant of his dimension, however his mixture of energy and athleticism bought him into the late first spherical.
- Astros first-round choose Drew Gilbert has signed, in accordance with a membership announcement. Callis experiences (Twitter link) he’s landed a $2.5MM bonus, somewhat below the $2.62MM worth of the twenty eighth general choose. A left-handed hitting middle fielder from the College of Tennessee, Gilbert was the #24 prospect within the class, per BA. The 5’9″ outfielder has a well-rounded offensive skillset and a great probability to stay in middle subject, and he’s coming off a .362/.455/.673 exhibiting with extra walks than strikeouts in a breakout junior season for the Vols.
- The A’s are in settlement on an overslot cope with 2nd-round choose Henry Bolte, Callis experiences (on Twitter). He’ll obtain a $2MM bonus to sway him out of a dedication to Texas. A 6’3″ outfielder from the Bay Space, Bolte entered the draft because the #42 prospect in Baseball America’s estimation. He’s considered one of many higher-upside gamers within the class, exhibiting an enviable mixture of energy, pace and middle protection. Nevertheless, the right-handed hitter additionally comes with query marks in regards to the excessive quantity of swing-and-miss in his sport.
- The Blue Jays went overslot with a $2MM bonus for supplemental second-round choose Tucker Toman, Callis experiences (on Twitter). That’s greater than double the $846,900 slot worth related to the #77 general choice. That displays a loftier prospect standing, because the 18-year-old infielder from a South Carolina highschool had been the #40 participant within the class, in accordance with BA. A 6’1″ infielder, Toman is a switch-hitter with an opportunity for a robust hit/energy mixture, though it’s questionable whether or not he can keep on the grime or will finally have to maneuver to the nook outfield. Like Crawford and Romero, he’ll forego a dedication to LSU and begin his professional profession.