A number of extra excessive draft picks have agreed to phrases inside the previous day. We’ll spherical up right now’s information right here:
- The Padres are in settlement with #15 general decide Dylan Lesko, stories Jim Callis of MLB.com (Twitter link). The proper-hander will obtain a $3.9MM signing bonus that checks in a bit shy of the choice’s $4.09MM slot worth. Lesko, a 6’3″ hurler from a Georgia highschool, was rated by Baseball America because the #13 prospect within the class. Broadly considered the draft’s high pitcher for a lot of the spring, Lesko required Tommy John surgery in April. That maybe price him a possibility to go within the high ten, however he nonetheless went halfway by way of the primary spherical and acquired a robust bonus to bypass a dedication to Vanderbilt. Other than the harm and the inherent danger related to any highschool hurler, there’s little in Lesko’s profile to nitpick. Earlier than the surgical procedure, he’d run his fastball into the mid-90s with a changeup that BA calls “among the best the business has seen from a highschool pitcher,” together with a high-spin curveball. He provides a high-upside arm to the decrease ranges of the San Diego system, though it stays to be seen how a lot he’ll be capable to pitch earlier than the tip of subsequent season.
- The A’s are in settlement with #19 choice Daniel Susac, Callis stories (on Twitter). The previous College of Arizona catcher receives a $3.5312MM bonus that matches the slot worth. The righty-hitting backstop, ranked the #11 participant within the class by Baseball America, is coming off a large .366/.430/.582 displaying by way of 312 plate appearances throughout his second season with the Wildcats. He’s considered a bat-first backstop with good pull-side energy, however each BA and Callis counsel he’s a adequate receiver to stay behind the plate, the place his plus arm energy shall be an asset. Susac’s older brother Andrew Susac spent components of six seasons within the huge leagues with the Giants, Brewers, Orioles and Pirates.
- The Blue Jays have agreed to phrases with first-round decide Brandon Barriera, stories Callis (Twitter link). The left-hander out of a Florida highschool receives a $3.5975MM bonus that checks in a good bit north of the $3.08MM slot worth related to the #23 decide. Barriera, who can also be foregoing a Vanderbilt dedication, is a 5’11” hurler who can run his fastball into the mid-90s. He was ranked by Baseball America because the #17 participant within the class, and each BA and Callis credit score him with a potential plus slider and be aware he was among the many high southpaws obtainable.
- The Diamondbacks have come to phrases with right-hander Landon Sims, Callis stories (Twitter link). It’s a $2.34705MM bonus for the Mississippi State product, proper across the slot worth for the #34 general decide. Sims was a lights-out nearer for the Bulldogs in 2021, tossing 56 1/3 innings of 1.44 ERA ball with an otherworldly 46.9% strikeout charge to assist MSU to a nationwide title. The crew tried to transition him to the rotation this spring, however Sims blew out simply three begins in and required Tommy John surgical procedure. The harm has stored Sims from establishing any form of observe document as a starter, however each Callis and BA reward his mid-90s fastball and wipeout slider. He was the #35 prospect within the class, in line with Baseball America.
- Along with Lesko, the Padres are in settlement with their second-highest choice. Callis stories (on Twitter) that #39 decide Robby Snelling has agreed to phrases on a $3MM bonus that shatters the $2MM slot worth. Snelling was typically seen as a mid-late first spherical expertise, and his bonus is commensurate with that view. A left-handed pitcher from a Nevada highschool, he was rated by BA because the #21 prospect within the class. Each Callis and BA credit score Snelling with one of many higher curveballs within the draft, and the latter outlet suggests he has an opportunity to develop plus management. Snelling had been dedicated to LSU.